Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Curried Rice with Chick Peas

Much to my dear husband's dismay I have started incorporating more vegetarian recipes into our menu-planning.  I am not planning on going vegetarian or vegan anytime soon, but, I am interested in learning more about how my body works and what foods are best for me.  So, I was looking at meat-free meals and came up with this one.  I adapted it from a recipe on Healthy Girl's Kitchen http://healthygirlskitchen.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweet-curried-rice-with-carrots-and.html.  I cut the recipe down in size (just in case it wasn't a hit), cut back on some of the seasonings, and used raisins instead of dates.  We enjoyed it and I hope you will too!



Curried Rice with Chick Peas

2 Cups of Cooked Brown Rice
1/2 Onion Chopped
1 1/2 Cups Carrot Chopped
1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
Shake of Cayenne Pepper
1 Teaspoon Cumin
1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
1 15 oz Can Chick Peas Drained
3/4 Cup Raisins

Saute the onion until golden brown, add the carrots and saute them until they are tender-crisp.  Combine all of the seasonings into the cooked rice and add the sauteed vegetables.  Add the chick peas and raisins last and gently combine them making sure to not crush the chick peas in the process.  Serve warm with a side of salad or, if you want, add cooked, cubed chicken.  It makes a wonderful, quick meal and reheats well for a yummy lunch - Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment